23 November 2008

Growing up?

Yesterday was great. Mum had a post-wedding shower for me and it was a lot of fun. Most of my aunts were there as well as a few of my friends and my awesome mother-in-law. Nice gifts, door prizes and some amazing homemade barbecue. An atomic clock mistaken for a doomsday clock ^_^ A great time was had by all.
After the shower my brothers Ryan and Bryson and Bryson's girlfriend Kelli and I went to see The Dropkick Murphys in Lousiville. The opening bands were pretty good. I hadn't been out to a show of any sort in years...about 4 years actually. I'd forgotten how amusing the punk scene can be. How people can be categorized. I guess it's like that in any subculture but "punk" is the one I'm probably most familiar with. There were the underage kids, the straight-edgers, the hipsters, the hardcore kids, the skinheads (not too many of those out last night), the metal-heads, the Irish music fans (who looked slightly put-off by mohawks and spikes), a couple of rednecks and some hippies. And me, nowhere in between any more. I used to fall somewhere in the hardcore/goth category. One day long ago. Now I'm somewhere else, not sure where anymore. It was rather strange to watch the crowd from the outside now. I have more ink than a lot of the people trying hard to show off what they had, I can identify bands on patches on black leather jackets from 20 paces and I know the best ways to get your hair pink, blue or orange. I guess I'm getting old? I still desire to dress up outrageously and go jump in the mosh pit but my budget calls for suits and dresses and my broken back calls for a bar stool. When did I become so boring?? Did I ever think this day would come? No. Call it Peter Pan syndrome but I never thought I'd be so lame. Not that I'm unhappy with how my life is now but it's just so strange. Recently my mechanic's jacket with leopard-print fur collar and my pin and patch collection suffered irreparable damage. Maybe that was a sign? An end of an epoch for me perhaps.
At any rate, the DM were BLOODY AWESOME and I'm so excited still that I got to see them live finally. I've been a fan since 2000 or so and I'd never caught them live due to living in BFE. The energy from the band was amazing. Simply awesome.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I like the Dropkick Murphys - my husband is a big fan.

I hear you re: the scene and feeling outside of it. I'm 41 now (jeez, how the hell did that happen??), and waaay back, I used to be a metal chick. Like, thrash and speed metal. I used to do the scene (not too hard core, but I've inhaled, let's say), but now I'd much rather hang out with friends than go to a club.

Part of it's getting old (much as I don't want to accept that), and part of it is just finding new things and moving on.

Just think of all the great stories you'll have to tell your kids (if you go that route) or nieces/nephews, etc. I love being Crazy Auntie Sheila for my nieces.

I would have liked a picture of your gig outfit!

Leigh-Anna said...

Thank god it's not just me! *whew* I too would much rather just go to the pub up the street or stay at home with my dogs and husband than venture out into the wild world I used to know and love. I do look forward to being the Crazy Aunt and maybe one day the Cool Mom who knows why the Ramones were so awesome and why Kool-Aid won't dye your hair.
I'll have to pull the outfit back out and get a shot of it. Nothing extravagant compared to my former get-ups! Thanks for the comment and reminding me I'm not alone!